Leading causes of residential fires in Orlando and how to prevent them
There are many perils you must think about as a property owner. Fire is chief among them, as it can happen anywhere and at any moment. The U.S. Fire Administration approximated an incredible $8.9 billion in property damage throughout the United States due to residential fires in 2021. That same year, there were in excess of 350,000 recorded occurrences. Luckily, there are steps you can take to keep them from happening|. Take a look at the causes and how to prevent house fires in Orlando.
What causes residential fires in Orlando?
Fires can begin in any spot and without warning, whether ignited by a discarded cigarette in a trash can or an unattended stovetop. Here are the top causes of residential fires.
- Cooking: Incidents in the kitchen are the most common types of residential fires in Orlando and all other areas. Unattended stovetops are the chief origin, so always pay attention to that scorching skillet when cooking. It’s also essential to note that dumping water on a grease fire will only worsen the situation.
- Heating: Space heaters are well established as a cause of residential fires. Using them for too long can result in inner components degrading and catching fire. Putting heaters by combustible objects like bed sheets and drapery or using worn cords will also lead to disaster. Other heating elements, such as furnaces and fireplaces, could cause fires and should be checked periodically.
- Electrical: Outdated wiring, defective outlets, and overburdened extension cords are some ways electrical issues cause fires. Whenever you notice flickering lights, sparking from an outlet, or odd odors, get it inspected right away.
- Candles: Whenever there's a flame, there's a chance of fire. Residential fires from candles are still frequently reported and often result from people being careless. Placing candles next to combustible materials like drapery or having them within the reach of a rambunctious pet will lead to disaster.
- Smoking: Even with the overall decrease in smoking nationwide, it’s still a primary fire hazard. The U.S. Fire Administration approximated that 7,800 residential fires were started by smoking in 2021. Falling asleep with a cigarette in hand or throwing out smoldering ashes prematurely can give rise to catastrophic results.
The primary way to prevent house fires in Orlando is to steer clear of careless behavior. Always keep an eye on things when cooking, don’t leave a candle unattended, and properly get rid of cigarettes. If you need to operate a space heater, do so sparingly and use one that has an automatic shut-off safety precaution in case it is knocked over.
Safeguard your home with a monitored fire alarm in Orlando
You ought to have smoke detectors on each floor and more next to sleeping quarters. But you can take your home’s safety to a new level with a monitored fire alarm. These innovative safety devices will not only detect smoke but can also trigger due to extreme heat. Furthermore, because they incorporate into your modern smart home, they’ll warn you and your monitoring professionals whenever a crisis takes place. This is a notable benefit, specifically when you’re not around to hear the alarm and phone the fire department yourself.
Safeguard your home against known threats with a Vivint smart home in Orlando
Upgrade the safety of your household today with a Vivint smart home. You may custom design our systems with monitored fire alarms, CO detectors, and flood sensors. You’ll appreciate the instant notifications to your smartphone and the peace of mind that you enjoy with professional monitoring. Dial (407) 972-1223 to speak with a skilled Vivint professional.